The Spanish Birth Certificate, otherwise known as Certificado de Nacimiento, is a legal document that is provided by the respective Registrar of the Consular or Civil Registrar. The registrar is responsible for certifying the birth of the applicant, the date on which the birth had taken place, the gender of the birth along with time as well. The Spanish Registrar can issue birth certificates in either paperback or digital formats.
As of the current day, three kinds of birth certificates can be obtained in Spain: the ordinary birth certificate, the international birth certificate and the bilingual birth certificate. Moreover, the type of birth certificate you’ll choose can be further segregated into two versions namely the short/abridged version or the full certificate version.
Furthermore, it should be known that birth certificates in Spain are handed over to every person who has a legitimate interest in obtaining the same, except for the following three conditions: when it’s for adoption, when it’s for sex change and when it’s for surname changes.
Applying For a Birth Certificate In-Person
To apply for a birth certificate in Spain in person, simply follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Head over to the Civil Register (Municipality) where the birth was first registered. You can find the one you’re looking for by visiting the website and entering the location name.
- Apply for your birth certificate by duly filling up the form, which can be obtained from the Civil Register’s office. Add the supporting documents required to prove your identity as the applicant.
- Submit the form along with the supporting documents and any processing fee to the Register’s office. The office will let you know about the delivery date for the birth certificate, on which you have to visit the Civil Register again and collect the same.
Applying For a Birth Certificate In Spain Online
Before you decide to opt for a birth certificate online, be sure to decide whether you want to opt for a digital certificate or a non-digital certificate. Once you’ve decided, proceed with the application process by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Firstly, head over to the official website when applying for birth certificate.
- Select the type of birth certificate you’re looking for – whether you want a digital copy of the birth certificate or want the birth certificate to be printed and sent by post.
- After that, you have to start the application process by first verifying yourself. Once done, you have to add the details required as the applicant along with any supporting documents for identification.
- Once done, you may have to pay the processing fee, which can be transacted online by using your debit or credit card.
- Finally, you’ll be notified about the delivery of your birth certificate. If you’ve chosen ‘digital’ then the delivery will be instant. Otherwise, the processing time can take up to 15 days.
Applying For a Birth Certificate By Post
When applying for a birth certificate by post, be sure to carry out the below-mentioned steps.
- First, you have to find the address of the Civil Register or Municipality to which you’d want to send your application. You can find the same through this official website.
- Once you know the address, write up an application requesting a birth certificate. You have to include your name, surname, date and birth location. Furthermore, you have to specify the type of birth certificate you wish to receive, such as short, full, ordinary, international or bilingual. Don’t forget to include a telephone number for contact-related purposes.
- After that mail the application to the specified address.
Applications sent by post are processed within 15 days, which means you’ll receive a notification for the same shortly.