Granting visa-free access to more than 120 countries around the globe, the passport of Singapore greatly embodies the promise of international travel. Touted as one of the world’s strongest passports, the Singapore passport features a mobility score of 174, meaning that its holders will face fewer travel restrictions than most. This allows individuals to seamlessly travel across continents, ultimately opening doors to cultural immersion, business opportunities, and personal exploration.
Presently, the Singapore passport allows individuals visa-free entry to international powerhouses such as Japan, the United States, and the European Union. It should be known that the Singaporean Government issues only one type of passport for international travel, which is known as the ‘bio-metric passport’, which was introduced way back in 2007. In a bio-metric passport, an electronic chip containing the holder’s bio-metric data is embedded, leading to faster border clearance and enhanced security.
Having said that, if you are planning to book an appointment to obtain your Singapore passport, then our comprehensive guide can help you complete your objective without any worries.
Steps to Book an Online Appointment
To book an online appointment for your Singapore passport, follow the below-mentioned steps without any hesitation.
- Start your journey by first heading over to the official website here.
- Before you start the online process, make sure you have your identity card number, birth certificate, or citizenship certificate number, along with your previous passport expiry date (not for first-time users), a recent passport-sized photograph (taken in the last three months), and a suitable payment method (debit or credit card from VISA, Mastercard, or American Express, or internet banking details).
- On the landing page, click on the ‘Apply For Passport’ option.
- You will be redirected to a new web page, where you will be asked to sign in to your Singpass account. If you do not have a Singpass account, then you can register a new one.
- Once signed in, complete the passport application online. Ensure you provide correct information wherever possible and upload the necessary supporting documents and your photograph. To learn more about the photo guidelines, visit here.
- Once done, submit the completed form and then pay the requisite fee online (usually S$70 per application). After successful submission, you will be provided with a reference number for future use.
- After submission, you will need to wait at least two weeks for your application to be processed by the ICA (Immigration & Checkpoints Authority) of Singapore. Remember that the processing time may be longer if your photograph does not meet the requirements mentioned previously.
- Once your application is approved, you will be notified by SMS, email, or by post so that you can collect your passport. You can collect your passport either at a Singapore post office or at the ICA Building.
- To collect your passport, you need to first book a collection appointment here. From the drop-down menu, select ‘Collection of Passport’, and you will then be required to enter your NRIC or birth certification number along with your file reference number. After that, hit ‘Submit’.
- After that, proceed to set up an e-appointment for collection. Remember that you must create an appointment within one month of your approval notification. Also, you need to refer to the notification SMS/email/mail to learn about the documents you need to carry for your collection.
Please note that uncollected passports will be canceled after three months, and the fee paid will not be refunded.
Other Ways to Get a Singapore Passport
Alternatively, you can complete the Singapore passport application through other processes mentioned below.
Submit Application via Mail or In-Person
- The primary step involves downloading the official Singapore passport application form here and printing it.
- Once you have printed the application, fill it out along with the necessary supporting documents and passport-sized photographs.
- After that, mail the application form along with the requisite fee to the following address: Passport Unit, Citizen Services Centre, ICA Building, 10 Kallang Road, Level 2, Singapore 208718. Alternatively, you can drop off your completed form at Level 1, ICA Building, during operating hours (Monday to Friday between 8 AM and 5 PM, and on Saturdays between 8 AM and 1 PM), excluding public holidays.
Submit Application Overseas
- First, you need to download the Singapore passport application form (overseas) here and print it.
- After that, proceed to fill it out with the correct information, supporting documents, and photographs as required.
- Once done, submit the form along with the requisite fees (usually S$80) to a Singapore Overseas Mission in the region you are residing in. To find a nearby Singapore Overseas Mission, visit here.
Steps to Check Status Online
To check the current status of your online passport application for Singapore, ensure that you follow the recommended steps below closely.
- The first step involves heading over to the official website here.
- On the landing page, click on ‘Check Status Of Online Application > Passport’, and you will be required to sign in using your Singpass account.
- Once signed in, you will be able to track the current progress of your passport application.
For any additional assistance, you can get in touch with the authorities at ICA of Singapore via email at [email protected].